Friday, August 21, 2015

VEGAN CRAB CAKES

Is everyone as overwhelmed with zucchini as I am right now? Isn't it fun?
Seriously my favorite vegetable - I doubt I could ever get tired of it!
Anyway.
This past spring, we experimented with several zuke and summer squash plants in large pots on our tiny back porch.
After a slow start and a little experimenting with how much water and fertilizer they needed to thrive, we're now harvesting a bumper crop off those three pots.

And while I love zucchini in a million different ways (except zucchini bread, of which I am NOT a fan), using the shredded squash in these faux "crab cakes" is definitely one of my favorite recipes.
Disclaimer: I have never had REAL crab cakes, so I have no idea if they're anything close, and I really don't care. It's an easy recipe (much easier to DO than to describe, I promise) and was a sure-fire way to get my kids to eat zucchini back in the day.
ENJOY!
Stay tuned. The tomatoes are falling off the vines, I'll have to share a couple recipes there too!

Zucchini "Crab" Cakes

3+ cups grated zucchini or yellow summer squash
2 teaspoons flax seed, ground fine
1 Tbsp. vegan mayo
1 Tbsp. melted margarine
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup besan (garbanzo) flour
1 Tbsp. gluten flour
1/4 cup minced or grated onion
2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning (This is absolutely essential to making them taste "right")
1/2 cup seasoned all-purpose flour (simply throw in a little salt, pepper, cayenne, whatever you like)
oil for frying 
DIRECTIONS:

Shred zucchini and squeeze out excess moisture in a towel.
(You can use a little less or a little more and simply adjust your breadcrumbs, etc. It's a pretty forgiving recipe.)

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients EXCEPT all-purpose flour and oil.
The mixture should hold together in loose, sloppy blob-like cakes or "patties", several Tablespoons in size.
If too dry, add a bit of vegan mayo a spoonful at a time.
If too wet, add besan/garbanzo flour or breadcrumbs, a spoonful at a time.

You can see the ones pictured ended up with a bit too much besan flour and were a bit "pancake-y"... still super tasty though!!
In medium-size skillet, heat several Tablespoons oil on medium high. (I prefer coconut oil here, I feel it leaves things less greasy, but use whatever you prefer.) Shape mixture into patties with your hands, (this will be messy).
While still in your hand, after "shaping" into a patty, lightly sprinkle/pat with seasoned flour all over (or dredge in flour by dropping the "patty" in a plate with the flour, to cover. This process is trickier and more messy).
Plop into heated skillet. (It's easiest if you shape one patty, dredge in flour and place in hot oil before moving to next one...) Don't actually "plop" them, you'll splatter oil!
Fry patties/'cakes' in oil until holding together nicely and golden brown on both sides.
You may need to adjust heat a bit.
Drain on paper towel. Serve warm.

Serve with tarter sauce (and I don't know why but we always serve them with fresh tomatoes, probably because we have TONS of both right now).

0 comments: