Saturday, November 27, 2010

Dreena Burton's "Thick 'N Rich Gravy"


Day 27 and yet another completely delightful gravy recipe that I think everyone should try. You have a year until next Thanksgiving to sample all these gravies, remember.

This time, my recipe-of-the-day for (drum roll) - - - "Vegan Month Of Gravy" is posted with permission from Vegan-Super-Mom-Cookbook Author Dreena Burton.

You're probably familiar (or should be!) with her cookbooks like "Eat, Drink & Be Vegan", "The Everyday Vegan", (and a new one coming out soon - SO excited!). EDBV was absolutely indispensable to me when I started to switch my family over to my "weird vegan" lifestyle. I love that Dreena has 3 kids at home to cook for, just like I do! Her recipes are definitely child-friendly and win the ultimate seal of approval in THIS household: Recipes my kids actually ask for again and again!

So, back to my original point: you need to try Dreena's "Thick 'N Rich Gravy". It's sort of a cross between gravy and "cheezy sauce" and SO GOOD on pasta, rice or veggies!
If, like me, you're initially not sure of an ingredient (I usually cannot stand molasses, for example) please try it anyway. You will be pleasantly surprised, I PROMISE! (And as a personal guarantee, if you don't like it, I'll come to your house and eat it for you.) I also like this particular recipe because it stays "gravy-like" in the 'fridge (if you actually HAVE leftovers) and doesn't turn into a gelatinous bowl of goo. Nice for using the next day with leftovers.

"Thick 'N Rich Gravy"
From "Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan"
used with permission from the author, Dreena Burton

1 cup vegetable broth of your choice
1/4 cup nutritional yeast (you can use more or less, depending on if you like more of a "cheesy" flavor here or not)
1 Tablespoon mild miso
1 Tablespoon tamari sauce
1 large clove garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 Tablespoon arrowroot powder
2 Tablespoons tahini or cashew butter (I tend to use tahini here, cashew butter is a bit sweeter and you may want to use more vinegar then)
1 1/2 - 2 1/2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 1/2 Tablespoons blackstrap molasses
1/2 tsp agave
2 Tablespoons olive oil
3 Tablespoons water, or as needed to thin

With a hand-blender, or in a food processor, blend all ingredients except water (and start with just 1 Tablespoon vinegar). Place mixture in a pot on medium high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring as needed. Once it starts to boil, turn heat down and let it simmer gently (still bubbling) 2 - 3 minutes until thickened. Taste and add more vinegar if you want, and/or thin with water if desired.

1 comments:

Babette said...

I love that gravy. I just tried it last time for a change, and I already know I'll do it countless times.